Thursday, July 31, 2014

An Open Letter To My Parents


Dear Mom and Dad,

I would like to thank you for putting up with someone who's been such a pain in the butt for the last almost 22 years. Yes, I am comfortable saying that because I am, and I know other people wouldn't agree with it, but you wouldn't mind. I know our relationship hasn't always been the best, but now that I'm older, I am so grateful that you stuck by me, even through my hardest times.

I know that no parents expect a child with mental illness or a learning disability, but you raised me and you never thought twice. I know a lot of parents would have given up on their children. A lot of parents are in denial about their child having something like this, but you always fought for the services I needed to help me thrive in this world. I know I may have complained about my physical therapy and my occupational therapy and everything in between, but I know it was for the best now, and there's no way I would have made the strides in life that I have if you didn't fight for these services.

Above all, you treated me like a normal kid. You gave me the experiences of a normal kid. You made me believe I can succeed at anything and do anything I put my mind to.  I can see why you get frustrated and angry when I seem like I'm going to give into my defeat, but I promise you I'll never give up, no matter how hard my life is.  You also didn't let me use my disability as an excuse and didn't let me gain learned helplessness. I am sorry if I talk about my issues too much, but I feel like talking about them are the only way that I'm going to learn and feel better about myself.

I know I will make some mistakes and I know our relationship won't always be easy. I know we will get into arguments in the future, but I love you and I am so grateful to you for giving me everything that I have. As I go out in the world, I know you'll always have my back and will help me through everything I ever go through. Even though I'm an adult now, I will always need your guidance and wisdom in my life, even if I don't take it so gracefully sometimes.

I love you and once again, thank you for everything you've ever done for me.
Signed,
Your Daughter,
Julia Ann Lange


0 comments:

Post a Comment