Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Why I'm So Open About My Life.

People tell me all the time that I should hide my problems because people don't understand. However, being me, I don't listen to them. Sure, I'm embarrassed if I have a panic attack or cry in public - that'd be embarrassing for anyone - but I see something wrong with people thinking I should be embarrassed to have a mental illness or a disability.

I fully accept who I am and what I feel. I know I'm not perfect. I know I make mistakes. I know I tend to be selfish and a little bit crazy. I have mental illnesses and I have a learning disability but I'll be damned if I'm shamed about having them. I'm going to be as open as I want  and I'm going to keep talking about it. If people don't like it, they're not meant to be in my life.

I'll fully disclose my disability when I get a job interview. I won't hide it from my interviewer or boss. I'm going to be honest. If they don't accept it, then the job isn't meant to be. I think of my disability giving me many abilities that a neurotypical person may not have. I think of my anxiety as a blessing in the sense that it gives me my work ethics and Type A tendencies  (and yes, it's a very bitchy blessing sometimes). Why wouldn't I disclose it?

I am going to continue to be open and if you don't like it, please calmly move on as I don't need your negativity towards mental illnesses and disabilities in my life.

1 comments:

  1. I agree. Whenever the topic of my anxiety comes up with people, I am often told that I am disclosing too much information. As far as "disabilities" go, I can disclose as little or as much as I damn well want to. I fully agree!

    ReplyDelete