Friday, January 24, 2014

College & Stress Of Finding a Job & Anxiety - Oh My!


{source}

I am starting my second semester as a senior on Monday, and I will be graduating in May. This semester is going to be extra tough for me and my anxiety, seeing that I will be looking for a job after I graduate. My anxiety is highly triggered by the fear of the unknown and things changing. The combination of the two makes it hard to breathe sometimes, so I think it's the time to make what I call an "action plan." This is especially important, because a few months ago I completely changed my career path and I was going to go to grad school. I then found out that I didn't get any financial aid, so I have to save up and pay for myself. So, here is my action plan in regards to the next few months of school:

1. Find volunteer work. I have some under my belt, but I feel like the more the merrier. It gives me transferable skills, and helps me build some interpersonal skills as well as intrapersonal skills.

2. Spend time in the career center. This is important because they'll help me find volunteer work and internships and potentially jobs. They'll also help me prepare for interviews and look over cover letters and resumes. I feel like this is important, because if they say everything is good, I am sure to land a job soon after college.

3. Don't consume my brain with thoughts of not finding a job. This is hard, but I have to keep reminding myself that on average, a college graduate does not find a job for 9 months after graduation.

4. Focus on school. Sometimes, I get so consumed with outside stuff that I forget to focus on school. I am always aiming for a 4.0 (though it hasn't happened yet) and hopefully, I will make it my last semester. I'm going to have a positive attitude and I'm going to work hard.

Here's to a happy, hopefully minimal stressful, and even less anxiety provoking semester!

0 comments:

Post a Comment