Friday, April 4, 2014

To My Professor:

You know who I am. You know my name. In fact, you're one of the first professors that actually bothered to do that. But I bet you didn't know that I have a learning disability when you started spewing your ignorance in class today. That's okay, though. Most people don't know I have one. I'm extremely bright and have made it through four years of college. More importantly, my disability is hidden and you'd never be able to tell unless I told you personally.

However, I am not okay with you telling false things about learning disabilities. You stated that learning disabilities can be cured 99% of the time. I find that offensive. I've knowingly have had some type of disability since I was in kindergarten and was officially diagnosed with my disability in third grade. I had the best resources, the greatest support system,and the greatest attitude towards my work, even though it was hard. Guess what? I'm still not cured and it's still not going away no matter how hard I work.

I am going to spare you a deep scientific explanation of learning disabilities, but this is the root of it: They are innate neurological deficits that aren't magically cured. Yes, they can improve, but it's always going to be there. People with learning disabilities are always going to struggle with something, whether it's math, reading, or like me, abstract thinking.

I struggle with my disability every day of my life. It may not always be apparent, but I do. When you give me 50 true/false questions on an exam, I struggle with that. When you don't act compliant with my testing modifications, you make me struggle because I feel rushed when taking my exam.

I know you're probably set in your ways about what you believe, but take it from someone who has lived with a learning disability nearly her whole life - it's not going away and I do not appreciate you spreading around inaccurate statements when you obviously have no idea.

1 comments: